Re: Running GCC tests on installed compiler

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 09:17:07PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 06:05:49PM -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> > >Can someone one with some deja-knowledge help me figure out how to run
> > >the GCC tests on an installed compiler and without having to do a GCC
> > >build?
> >
> > You must be new around here:
> >
> > 	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/1997-1998/msg00000.html
> >
> > :-)  Which is the I feel lucky google("site:gcc.gnu.org how to run
> > installed GCC_UNDER_TEST") result.
>
> For the less old-school inclined, try contrib/test_installed.

This kind of thing reveals a problem with using Google for help with free
software.  Often the top link points to a sometimes-hairy procedure that
represents the first successful solution to a problem, while the later
work by upstream and the distros to find much similar solutions ends up
with much later Google rank.  That's because everyone links to the first
solution, and those links persist.

BTW, anyone who does use the message Mike linked to, please read it
carefully and don't just cut-and-paste the first set of commands, or
your report will claim to be from hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20, regardles of what
they really run.

So please use contrib/test_installed !