Re: gcc visibility used by moz

> Jason Merrill wrote:
> >
> > It seems that you have a different mental model of type visibility.
>
> I've gotten a little lost in this thread.  Is there a clear proposal for
> the semantics that we're leaning towards at this point?
>
> One meta-note is that we're not the first people to consider this.  I
> wonder if the rules beginning at page 19 (Inter-DLL symbol visibility
> and linkage) of the ARM C++ ABI:
>
> http://www.arm.com/miscPDFs/8033.pdf
>
> might be helpful?  This is really about mapping dllexport/dllimport onto
> ELF symbols, but there are some rules about how to decide whether
> members of classes are exported.

It looks like those rules are an attempt to explain Visual
Studio-style linkage.  If we're interested in having those, Apple's
version of GCC implements them with the -fvisibility-ms-compat flag,
plus documentation which explains what the flag does from a user point
of view (which was by far the hardest part of the implementation of
the flag).