This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: constructors and multiple entry points


Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

| On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:50:35PM -0400, Andrew Pinski wrote:
| > 
| > On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > 
| > >
| > >Hi,
| > >
| > >   We're assessing many proposals to add "forwarding constructors" and
| > >forwarding functions to C++0x; and I got a question.
| > >
| > >   In standard C++, constructors cannot be recursive functions.  I'm
| > >wondering whether the multiple entry-points implementation strategy 
| > >used
| > >by GCC depends in anyway on the absence of recursive definition.
| 
| GCC doesn't implement a multiple entry-points strategy.  I wish it did
| :-)  Instead we used cloned functions with slightly different calling
| sequences.

There have been lot of discussions about it in the past and I got the
(now-obviously-wrong) understanding that GCC was using multiple
entry-points strategy.

| I can see no reason why either the multiple entry-points or cloning
| approach would have a problem with recursion, though.

OK.  Thanks a lot!

-- Gaby


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]