Re: [RFH] - Less than optimal code compiling 252.eon -O2 for x86

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> wrote:

>>> I'd tend to agree.  I'd rather see the option go away than linger on
>>> if the option is no longer useful.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind that, but I'd also like to point out that there are
>> Makefiles out there which hard-code things like -fforce-mem.  Do we want
>> to keep the option as a stub to avoid breaking them?
>
> It could produce a "deprecated" or "obsolete" warning for 4.1, and then be
> removed for 4.2.

Personally, I don't see a point. -fforce-mem is just an optimization option
which does not affect the semantic of the program in any way. If we remove
it, people would need to just drop it from their Makefiles. There is no
source code adjustment required (which would justify the deprecation cycle).

Or convert it to a noop as Bernd suggested.
--
Giovanni Bajo