Re: Reporting bugs: there is nothing to gain in frustrating reporters

Toon Moene wrote:

Well, I haven't studied this to such a great detail because I (according to Kahan) belong to the group of people who "don't care about floating point accuracy because their code is so robust they can even run on Cray's", but doesn't this mean that we can solve it in the compiler by having its run time library provide this functionality ?

you are actually in the group for which the extra precision etc is designed :-) THe extra precision probably does not affect your code, might even help it who knows, but attempts to "fix" this problem might harm the performance of your code. The "might" is of course a very important word here. It really seems like a better idea to use sse if you don't care about 80-bit precision anyway.