Re: Missing type info in debug data in 4.0.0

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:53:35PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:
> I'm doing some tests to see if 4.0.0 will improve our debug
> experience, which is mixed indeed with complex C++ code and 3.3.3.
>
> So far it looks like things are MUCH worse.  I built my application
> and looked at it with GDB.  Many of the structure names are missing.
>
> I did some checking with readelf, looking at one of the object files.
> I dumped the debug data (-w) searching for the struct names in that
> output.  Some of them showed up, some did not.  In a bunch of cases,
> out of three struct types defined one right after the other in a
> header file, one showed up and the other two were missing.
>
> Any ideas?

Are they both used and defined in the program?  Currently GCC only
outputs full debug info for classes at the point where the key method
is emitted.  There's some discussion about this in the archives.

> Host is netbsd-intel, target netbsd-mips, binutils 2.15.  I'll do a
> build with binutils 2.16 but I don't expect any difference, since the
> missing typenames don't show up when I look at the assembler output
> from gcc, either.

No ideas without concrete examples and testcase, sorry.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC