Missing type info in debug data in 4.0.0

I'm doing some tests to see if 4.0.0 will improve our debug
experience, which is mixed indeed with complex C++ code and 3.3.3.

So far it looks like things are MUCH worse.  I built my application
and looked at it with GDB.  Many of the structure names are missing.

I did some checking with readelf, looking at one of the object files.
I dumped the debug data (-w) searching for the struct names in that
output.  Some of them showed up, some did not.  In a bunch of cases,
out of three struct types defined one right after the other in a
header file, one showed up and the other two were missing.

Any ideas?

Host is netbsd-intel, target netbsd-mips, binutils 2.15.  I'll do a
build with binutils 2.16 but I don't expect any difference, since the
missing typenames don't show up when I look at the assembler output
from gcc, either.

     paul