Re: Status of 3.3.5 release and 3.3 branch

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Mike Stump wrote:

| On Jan 16, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
| > That is reasonable.  ftp.gnu.org holds only official GNU releases--for
| > all GNU programs, not just gcc.  gcc.gnu.org holds many other things.
| > It is reasonable for releases on gcc.gnu.org to be in a subdirectory.
|
| I think on ftp.gnu.org gcc should follow the standard that all other
| GNU software on that site uses.

That is no longer doable in the case of GCC.
To explain: the standard for other GNU software seems to be just put
their .tar.gz there.
GCC somes with a host of tar.gz and tar.bz2 per release
(we have about 32 of such files per release).
So we put them in a directory.  In  the past, there used to be a way of
putting a symlink to the "complete" .tar.gz.
The new precedure for uploading on ftp.gnu.org has no provision
for making symlinks.
So we end up with inventing "our" standard.
The GCC-3.4.x series seems just to put the directory there with no
symlinks.
In case we end up inventing something, please put it in the releasing
note.
But, I'll again add my observation that ftp.gnu.org should be mirroring
from gcc.gnu.org.

| I think that means no releases
| directory.

Having two versions of the same release GCC signed with different keys
would add to the confusion.

-- Gaby