SPE configuration in GCC

For most target architecture families, you can generate code for all processors in the family, independently of how you configured GCC. For example, even if you build for a little-endian MIPS 4kc processor, you can still generate code for a big-endian MIPS R10k. You may not have runtime libraries that work, but you can generate the code.

I was surprised to find that configuring for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu got me a compiler that could not generate SPE code becausing things like TARGET_SPE are hardwired to zero. Is there a reason not to have TARGET_SPE defined to rs6000_spe in rs6000.h? My expectation would be that the defaults for these variables would be set differently in linuxspe.h, but that they would be accessible in all configurations. Right now, so far as I can tell, the PowerPC back end simply ignores things like -mfloat-gprs= in its default configuration, which is very confusing.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC