Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2004-01-05)

Geert Bosch <bosch@adacore.com> wrote:

>> I think that at least known wrong-code bugs for primary release
>> platforms should be fixed or documented as such.
>
> There is nothing special about known wrong-code bugs versus
> unknown ones. For a new technology, like gfortran, users
> will find lots of bugs after the first release. There will
> be tons of known wrong-code bugs.

This is where our disagreement is. You can rewrite as much as you like of GCC,
but if there is something which makes the user unable to compile its code with
the new version, while it works well in the old version, then it is a
regression. As a user, I don't care if you rewrite everything or just keep
fixing bugs.

Giovanni Bajo