Re: -fdump-translation-unit considered harmful

    is there a reason for not making the front ends dynamic libraries which
    could be linked by any program that wants to parse source code?

One of our main goals for GCC is to prevent any parts of it from being
used together with non-free software.  Thus, we have deliberately
avoided many things that might possibly have the effect of
facilitating such usage, even if that consequence wasn't a certainty.

We're looking for new methods now to try to prevent this, and the outcome
of this search would be very important in our decision of what to do.