Re: error using 3.3.2 in building apache-1.3.31

> Good point; I had forgotten about the SPARC and MIPS ABI changes.
> The changes should not affect most programs, but will affect some.

Right, most 32-bit programs are unaffected on SPARC because the changes
are all related to the _Complex keyword.  The situation is different for
64-bit programs because the changes are essentially related to (small)
aggregates passed by value.

> In the case of the SPARC changes, isn't it the case that programs
> that see an incompatible ABI change (because they pass small structures
> in registers, say) would also have compatibility problems between older
> GCC compilers and Sun's proprietary compiler?

Yes, it is.  The recent Sun compilers (5.3, 5.4, 5.5 at least) correctly
implement the 64-bit ABI (except in one corner case AFAIK) so the 64-bit
objects compiled by GCC up to 3.3.x are not binary compatible with the ones
compiled by the aforementioned Sun compilers if they fall into one of the
cases listed in http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/sparc-abi.html

--
Eric Botcazou