Re: error using 3.3.2 in building apache-1.3.31

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:26:12AM -0700, James E Wilson wrote:
> We make no guarantees about ABI compatibillity from one release to the
> next.  If there is any C++ code, then there is no practical chance of
> this working.  If there is only C code, then there is a reasonable
> chance of this working.

As GCC is free software, no guarantees can be made about anything.
However, GCC developers work hard to assure, at least, that releases whose
first two numbers are the same, e.g. gcc 3.4.0 and gcc 3.4.1, are
binary-compatible even for C++ code, and you can generally count on that
(though even there, no absolute promise can be given).

However, 2.anything and 3.anything are completely incompatible as far
as C++ is concerned, that is one thing that *can* be guaranteed.