This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Configuring GCC build: doc patch


On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Eric Botcazou wrote:

I said I would report what happened.  I found that having rebuilt
with ksh my compiler still would not build the FOX library, whereas
the Sun Workshop compiler will, and it fails with a segfault.  So
reading more about this I find I should really be using -xildoff
-xarch=v9 options for Sparc V9.

No, you misread. You must use 'cc -xarch=v9' only when building a sparcv9-sun-solaris2* or a sparc64-sun-solaris2* compiler, which are the same 64-bit compiler. When you are building a sparc-sun-solaris2* compiler, which is a 32-bit compiler, even for a V9 target (i.e. --with-cpu=v9), you must use the bare 'cc' command.

OK, so if I would like to use the full 64 bits where possible, but to be able to link with things built with the 32 bit compiler, what should I do?

Maybe I should not raise this in the middle of a thread, but it
might not be worthy of a new thread, so here goes.  Getting the
right configuration seems to be increasinly difficult, and much of
this configure won't be able to figure out.  Of course the
complexity of C itself has increased, and we have the other
languages in the Compiler Collection now, so this is fair enough.
But I think it would help people if there were files
build.*\.(sh|ksh|bash) for each platform, such as
buildSol2Forte6.ksh, so that the knowledge of what would work was
more readily available.  The script could ensure that /usr/ucb was
not on the path, that you were using the correct shell for the
system, etc, and then it could invoke configure correctly.
Of course, if people want to do more subtle things they'd need to
copy and modify the script, but to get a working collection, this
seems a less ambiguous way to code the knowledge than English.

-- Eric Botcazou


        Thank you,
        Hugh


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]