Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

On 2004-07-19 07:57:05 +0800 Phil Edwards <phil@codesourcery.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 12:12:05PM -0300, Nicol?s Lichtmaier wrote:

Since each patch that adds functions is supposed to be reviewed, if
the review process were effective in enforcing coding standards, this
couldn't have happened. I also see dozens of places in the compiler
where line breaks around operators (usually "=") aren't done according
to our standards either.

The existance of these things is a very strong argument against any
claims that "improper" use of C++ would be rejected.

Hi, I'm an outsider but... Why not creating a switch which would trim the C++ language to a "safe" subset? Then GCC could use this switch, and many projects (like Mozilla) could use it as well...

It's been suggested. See elsewhere in the thread for the kneejerk responses.

Because the switch will eventually disappear. Then everybody starts converting everything to c++ and everybody then stops everything and wait for the c++ ABI to stabilise. Meanwhile primitive people like me forks another gcc like all the nth other primitive peoples fork their own. Just so i could continue coding objective-c. Then in my own slice of the jungle i convert everything to objective-c and laugh at the modern men trying struggle with c++. Why not just convert gcc to compile with objective-c? Same reason.

C is neutral and it is alright with the natives.