Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

On Jul 13, 2004, at 4:11 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
There's one thing even more important than the issue of whether we have to
use C or a C++ compilers to build gcc, and that is that it should always be
possible to build gcc using the native/proprietary (non-gcc) tools that come
with a system

Most systems don't come with such tools, QED. It isn't a disaster. What is a disaster, is not having gcc/g++ ported to the platform. This is more likely than not, not an issue. Given that existence of such, it is less than even a little interesting.

When they do, it is very common for people that want to use gcc, to not actually have the system compiler if it is separate, and yet people cope today with this case.

Please describe in greater detail, why this is a disaster, we just don't see it. Use historical examples that are still relevant to better support your claim.

How many times would this have impacted you in the past 5 years? How?