Re: make #pragma pack() implementation consistent with other compilers(PR c/7054)

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> I'm afraid we cannot change the rules,

Of course we can - but such changes are almost always in the direction of
making the requirements stricter or clarifying and reaffirming
requirements that were not being consistently understood and followed by
everyone.  Nor as I understand it is an SC decision needed, when starting
a transition between two ways of doing things, to declare that the new way
is the preferred way of doing things that should be used in new code (for
example, new ports mustn't use cc0, old-style scheduler descriptions,
...); only general agreement - though we could do with a list of
incomplete transitions to serve both as possible projects and as
requirements for new code.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)