Best set of gcc options for debugging

Recently, I've been having a lot of frustration using gdb with gcc 3.4.1
(and even more so on 3.5) with stabs.

I'm having the usual sorts of problems: variables that mysteriously
change value at each evaluation, 'step' stepping through statements in
arbitrary order, function arguments/parameters being different values in
the caller and callee frame, etc.

This has always happened occasionally to some extent, but it seems that
now it is a lot worse than it was, say, two years ago.

I'm using -g with no optimization-related -f or -O flags.  Are there any
other options I need to use on today's GCC to tame the debugger?

What is the story with -g3?  Does this actually do anything useful?

Aaron W. LaFramboise