This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Templates with incomplete types
- From: "Gabriel Dos Reis" <gdr at acm dot org>
- To: "Matt Austern" <austern at apple dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:51:59 +0200 (CEST)
- Subject: Re: Templates with incomplete types
- References: <0C515E34-D10D-11D8-B250-000A95AA5E5E@apple.com>
- Reply-to: gdr at acm dot org
Matt Austern:
> On the other hand, in 3.3 we used to accept this code, and I suspect a
> number of other compilers did too. (That's what'll happen if you do
> all name lookup at the point of instantiation.) I suspect there's
> still code out there that relies on the old behavior. Should we
> provide a switch that'll get the old behavior back?
I suspect the real question is what do we do with respect to
old-behaviour, i.e. only one-phase lookup at instantiation time.
I suspect that your example is just the nose of the camel :-)
If you put in codes to support your example, people would
have more trouble understanding why you require two-phase
name lookup in other similar cases.