From: Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com>
To: ?? ??<cnnjuwy@hotmail.com>
CC: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: function structure
Date: 05 Jul 2004 16:26:21 -0700

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 17:59, ????wrote:
> Have you heard about StackGuard?
> I'm trying to do some work similar to that,

"Similar to StackGuard" doesn't really answer my question.  Where are
you inserting RTL, and why are you inserting it there?

> In RTL, I emitted a function call (using emit_lib_call()) before each
CALL_INSN in the current RTL unit.
> But I found that my function call is emitted between the parameter
evaluate instructions and the real call instruction, this ruined the parameters to be passed to the original routine.

Yes. It isn't safe to emit instrumentation code immediate before or after a CALL insn, if the instrumentation code itself requires a call. I think that what you are trying to do is impractical. You need to add the instrumentation code when RTL is generated, e.g. in expand_call, instead of waiting until after RTL generation and doing it during one of the RTL optimization passes. Or alternatively, add the instrumentation code during one of the tree/gimple passes. -- Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com