Re: named warnings & individual warning control

Mark Mitchell wrote:

[...] I have long argued that only front ends should be permitted to issue warnings, and that all attempts to use back-end data flow analysis to issue warnings are mistaken, no matter how clever they seem.

An interesting point. Continuously we get complaints from our users
about how uninitialized variable warnings are not available without
turning on optimizations, to the point that some people want us to
disable -O0.

So if I understand what you're getting at, it would be to have some
weaker form of flow analysis in the front end to implement the
uninitialized warnings, even if that means reporting some false
positives? I can go for that; if it takes a complicated analysis to
determine that a variable really is initialized before use, there's a
good chance that the code is only working correctly by accident, and
that minor changes - say, just before going into production use, per
Murphy - would break it.

Stan