Re: Linker API Proposal

Kirkegaard, Knud J wrote:
We understand that gcc is considering adding link-time compilation
features and an API to allow the linker to interact with the compiler
and related tools.

Not anytime soon. There are political problems that prevent us from doing this. FSF policy forbids writing information to files and reading it back in later, as that might allow someone to subvert the GPL and use proprietary compiler code with GPL'ed gcc code, or vice versa.

Many of us expect that we will need this feature eventually to stay competitive with other compilers, but for now, policy forbids it.

You might want to look at LLVM which uses gcc as a front end to a compiler that does do link-time optimizations.
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/