Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:45:44PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | I'm not arguing for /never/ having a 4.0 release (although others do take
> | that position, and it's a reasonable one).  I'm arguing that mainline,
> | today, right now, does not qualify.
>
> The way your argumentation comes to me is that by the time we'll have
> 4.0.0, C or C++ would have already been replaced with quantum computing
> programming languages in common places.

*shrug*  If nobody fixes stuff, then yes.  It's already been stated by the
SC that we don't release code based only on a calendar.  I simply think
we should strive for higher quality for "4.0" than what is currently on the
trunk, however long it takes.

It's not a popular opinion, and I didn't expect it would be.

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002