Re: Question...

Valeriu Palos wrote:

I am a true supporter of open source but I cannot agree that this concept should simply apply to all software programs on the planet.

First of all, I trust you mean Free Software here when you say open source. Actually it sounds like you are a true supporter only as a taker and not a giver, you are in favor of others making their work available to you under this license, but not vice versa.

The software in question involves a lot of hard work and true innovative research in an area which is not yet properly looked into by the developer community.

Like GCC!

So, you see?... what concerns me is not necessarily the money issue but the intelectual protection issue.

Please explain, sounds like you just want to keep your sources secret and hoard the knowledge to me, the opposite of the GCC philosophy.

So, allthough I have tried, I simply cannot understand how revealing my work freely to the world could advantage me (except maybe from a PR point of view). I do not pretend to know better than anyone, which is why I am asking you... what is the solution?

You have not tried very hard, since you are obviously very misinformed about the GPL itself. At least read the FAQ on the GPL.

In fact speaking for our company (AdaCore) we make our software
available under the GPL because it is advantageous to our
customers, and is a competitive advantage for us, which makes
it easier to sell our software.

This discussion is way off topic, so if you want to follow
up, please do to me personally, not to the list.

Robert Dewar