Re: RFC: Dropping the non-GCC bootstrap requirement (Was: BeginnerGCC projects question)

Has anybody considered dropping the requirement of
being able to bootstrap from any C89 compiler?
I hope to goodness not!

This requirement was reasonable in the infancy of
GCC, when it wasn't yet the most popular C compiler.
On some platforms it is still *NOT* the most popular
C compiler. I maintain two such platforms, and I would
be very upset to see the ability to bootstrap with the
native cc go away.

Kean