Re: Beginner GCC projects question

Note that this project is substantially harder than it looks due to
the large body of auto-generated code.

Yes, I know this.

I have come to the conclusion
that a 'make dep'-style prescan is unavoidable, and I have a fairly
detailed plan for implementing it, but I lack time.

I don't think so, I think that writing dependencies by hand for gen* (and rtl.o, bitmap.o, varray.o, errors.o) is sufficient. The real source of complication is crossbuilds (CC_FOR_BUILD != CC).

If anyone wants
to help, the first stage is to get cpplib out of the gcc subdirectory
so it can be built twice when build!=host.

That's good on its own.

Paolo