Re: 2 x86-64 ABI bugs in gcc 3.3 and 3.4

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:23:48PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> | As for the patch itself, the ABI changes involved here are for truly
> | obscure cases.
>
> As I explained in another message, I was going *not* to approve the
> patch no matter what you decide for 3.4.x.  Then I *did look* at the
> actual PRs.
>
> | I thought aobut the situation quite a bit before
> | approving the patch, and decided that it was probably better to fix
> | this problem soon, so that 3.4.1 would be compatible with 3.5.x, even
>
> That is what I thought we're going to do, given the actual PRs, your
> past experience with ABI testing, debates and late take for GCC.

I can add a new switch to 3.3 and 3.4. By default, gcc will issue
an error message and abort when it is about to generate the wrong
code. The new switch will allows user to either generate the wrong
code on purpose or generate the right one. Either way user knows what
kind of code will be generated. He/she will pick ABI conforming or
compatible him/herself, like

-mabi=compatible
-mabi=conforming

H.J.