Re: casting return values

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 21:02, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Probably here:  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-04/msg01958.html
> Feedback on the patch would be appreciated.

No, it was a different thread.  I had to search my outgoing mail box to
find it.  See
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg00907.html
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg00937.html

> Is this an approval for the patch? (obviously if it passes testing).

I will approve the patch to c-decl.c to remove the
c_promoting_integer_type_p code.  I am convinced enough that this is
wrong.  This patch needs to be forwarded to the gcc-patches list.  If
this causes too much ABI trouble, we may have to revert it.

I will approve the equivalent cp/decl.c patch also, unless a C++ expert
wants to overrule me.

For the convert_to_integer patch, it isn't obvious to me that there is a
problem with the code.  This will require more thought than I have time
for at the moment. I am several weeks behind on patch reviews because my
job kept me busier than normal recently.  I have several people waiting
for me to follow up on patch reviews, some as long as two or three
weeks, so I think I should catch up on my backlog before accepting
responsibility for more patch reviews.