Re: Promoting floats to doubles?

It is probably easier to do this in the C front end, even if that is the
wrong place to do this.  It will be a bit more work to do this in the
middle-end.  I don't believe there are any existing hooks for this.  I
will you will. have to write some code to get this working in the
middle-end.

I think you're right. I dont know anywhere near enough to make any kind of sensible changes to the middle end, but I can grok the front end stuff OK. I already have it working for C, and I will look at doing it for C++ next. Those are my two big concerns. If I end up having to do this in all of the frontends (well, its just Fortran and Java after that for this platform) then so be it. Over time perhaps I can be educated into how to do this more "correctly" in the middle end. Joseph seemed to have a good grasp on that so perhaps when he has time we can talk about doing it better.

At this stage I'd rather change the front-ends and get the stuff
working than wait to engineer a middle or backend solution. I
dont mind ripping the front-end code out once (or if) we reach a
better solution in the backend.

Kean