Re: GCC viciously beaten by ICC in trig test!

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Did you try by declaring doit() inline?
(I suppose that won't change much the outcome, but I'm curious).

I can get it to be inlined, but that doesn't do much for the performance.

This all came up because someone recompiled a program (with ICC) I'd written some years ago for a client -- and they noticed that the ICC version was 3 times faster than the GCC version. I get the same results.

I also note that on my current benchmark suites, GCC 3.3.3 performs as well or better than ICC on all tests (in terms of generated code speed) -- EXCEPT the ones involving trigonometry.

Which is why I was wondering if I'd missed a magic word.

I'll check this out on Sparc and AMD64 in a day or so, to see if it's just a problem with the Pentium 4.

--
Scott Robert Ladd