RE: Building GENERIC trees and passing the symbol table

> On Fri,  5 Mar 2004 23:31:31 +0000 Tom Crick <cs1tc@bath.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Quoting "" <law@redhat.com>:
> >
> > > In message <1078431212.40478dec6ddeb@webmail.bath.ac.uk>, Tom Crick
writes:
>I'm leaning towards going straight to GENERIC trees, just
> > > for the simple fact  >that it prevents having to write a
> > > 'genericise()' function and the need to  >create my own AST - I'd
> > > have a documented format to aim towards. Creating generic directly
> > > would be my recommendation.
> > Good - I'm glad that it seems to be the best way!
> >
> > >  > How complex is it to build GENERIC trees, as I am mindful of
> > > having  > contingency plans if it goes awry. Fairly simple if you
> > > start with GENERIC as your target.  It's harder to retrofit if
> > > you've already got a large body of code which generates
> its own AST.
> > Fair enough - it makes more sense to aim towards a set structure
> > rather than creating one of my own.
> >
> > > The f95 front-end generates GENERIC trees directly and may be useful
> > > for you to use as a reference.
> > Is there a definition document for GENERIC? I've looked at the SSA for
> > Trees site
> > [http://gnu.essentkabel.com/software/gcc/projects/tree-ssa/], but
> > cannot find an appropriate document. Where is the structure
> of GENERIC
> > defined?

Lovely, thanks for the pointer - I'll check out treelang in gcc-3.5 as well.

Also related to this, what is required with respect to the availability of
the symbol table? Would I have to pass my symbol table along with the
GENERIC tree? Does the symbol table have to be in any particular structure
or format?

Thanks again,

Tom