Re: IMA vs tree-ssa

On Mar 8, 2004, at 3:32 PM, Joe Buck wrote:
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:57:00PM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
       [#2] All declarations that  refer  to  the  same  object  or
       function shall have compatible type; otherwise, the behavior
       is undefined.
This would seem to suggest that in the situations where non-transitive
behavior would otherwise result (for example, an incomplete struct type is
compatible with two distinct and incompatible definitions of that struct
type), and this matters (for the purpose of aliasing analysis, for
example), we have undefined behavior, so the compiler should be able to
act as though this situation does not arise and assume transitivity.

Suppose we have 3 types T1, T2, Tcom such that T1 and T2 are not compatible, but Tcom is compatible with either T1 or T2. Let's call the relationship between T1 and T2 "pseudo-compatible". Then:

Tcom x;
T1 * p = (T1 *)&x;
T2 * q = (T2 *)&x;

foo()
{
   T1 x = *p;
   *q = ...
}

This is not undefined behavior, and the standard says that p and q don't alias
in foo. But they do. However, we are probably OK assuming that
pseudo-compatible types alias, even though the standard says they don't.

I can't construct an example of pseudo-compatible types where T1 and T2 are visible in the
same scope, and believe this to be impossible. So without IMI, there is no problem.
But this sort of thing can happen with crossfile inlining.

The more I think about this, the more I think Mark is right, this can of worms can't
be intentional.