[new-ra] Development status?

Hello,

what's the development status for new-ra? How does it look like right now? Does
it improve compile-time or code generation? On which platforms? This has been
also discussed several times on IRC with mixed results, so I would like to get
a complete status report for it. The point has been brought up in the tree-ssa
discussion as well.

I would also like to ask why there is an active development branch for new-ra.
We have a few bug reports in bugzilla which are against the mainline version
(-fnew-ra), which looks like to be outdated. Can the development be done on the
mainline directly? Can the latest version be merged to the 3.4 branch &
mainline? Also, we never consider *any* new-ra bug as regressions since it's an
experimental switch for 3.4, so I guess changes can be committed there freely,
without the "regression-only" policy.

Thanks!
Giovanni Bajo