Re: Switching the default for -fabi-version

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 15:02, Michael Matz wrote:

> So, definitely yes.  I doubt though, that it matters, because we also link
> against libstdc++ (of course), and hence the new compiler anyway means
> full recompilation and lost of backward compatibility.  I hope that
> somewhen this all becomes better, like with glibc ;-)

I really dont get the point of saying that libstdc++ differences gives a loss
of backward compatibility. Isnt that what symbol versioning is for?
I've never had problems with linking to two different versions of libstdc++
through shared libraries. It's inefficient but it works!

Keeping the ABI stable would for KDE mean that old plugins and shared
libraries could still be used, they would just load an additional libstdc++.

`Allan