Re: I give up.

Such as... (yesterday) gen_rtx_REG?  That's in emit-rtl.c.  As for
gen_rtx_UNSPEC, I don't know.  Bear in mind that there are about a dozen
or so C files that are *generated* during the build.  Sometimes what
you're looking for is in there instead, or in the generator program.
I did finally find all the bits of code (for example in genrtl.c).
But all that has done is made me even more confused as to just WTF all these functions are actually for.

What I am looking for is a "guide to emitting RTL in GCC on i?86 processors". Or if such a thing doesnt exist, someone out there who knows how to do what it is that I am trying to do and can tell me.
Because after staring at the code, the docs, the (in this case) usless google search results and the back-postings to this list, I am still no closer to figuring out how functions like gen_rtx_UNSPEC, gen_rtx_CONST, gen_reg_rtx, gen_subsi3, emit_insn, gen_rtx_SET and so on actually transfer to the x86 assembler instructions that appear in the output thats fed to GAS :'(

Normally, the usual response to "the docs, google and list archives" didnt help (when it comes to open source projects) is "go read the code".
However in this case, what is one supposed to do when you have already read the code and even that didnt help?