This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

re: Gcc installation problem


Long Fei <lfei@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

System: Red Hat Linux 7.2, P4 server
Because this version of linux ships with the defective gcc 2.96, I tried
to install gcc3.3 for myself.

I don't think it's quite fair to call RH's gcc "2.96" defective; it's just poorly named. They did a pretty good job of maintaining it, too; the latest update for that version is at https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2002-200.html If you're using something older than gcc-2.96-112.7.2.i386.rpm you should probably get your sysadmin to install that updated package along with other critical updates from https://rhn.redhat.com/errata for redhat 7.2.

Alternately, you could try building your own headers so the gcc-3.3
you build doesn't refer to the system headers.  I have a script to
do the whole shebang at http://kegel.com/crosstool; use it to
create an x86 -> x86 crosscompiler, and you should be all set.
Just be sure to pick a version of glibc that's the same or earlier than
the one your platform uses (2.2.4, I think).  Using a newer one
would make it harder for the binaries you create to run on the target.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com
http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=78045


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]