Opening large files with C

Hi Team:

I'm developing applications to deal with biological databases in flat file format. This databases are usually formed by very huge files, normally of 5 GB or even more. Some of my programs crash when I try to open this large files. There are a way of dealing with this file size using the normal C stream handling functions?

I would appreciate any information. Thanks in advance

Vladimir

--
BSc. Vladimir Espinosa Angarica
Researcher