This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Optimize x*x*x*x*x*x using 3 multiplications.
- From: Paolo Carlini <pcarlini at unitus dot it>
- To: Geoff Keating <geoffk at geoffk dot org>
- Cc: Robert Dewar <dewar at gnat dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:50:41 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Optimize x*x*x*x*x*x using 3 multiplications.
- References: <20030801041740.88506F2E2E@nile.gnat.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Geoff Keating wrote:
which, since real arithmetic is associative, is exactly the same as
the previous answer.
I wonder (thanks Craig for your private message), what happens if we
work in probabilistic setting, that is, computing means and statistics
wrt the (joint) distributions not just bounding... perhaps this is the
logic behind the Ada83 and Ada95 choices??