Re: std::pow implementation

Robert Dewar wrote:
I strongly disagree with this. Profiling is simply not an effective way of
identifying functions that benefit from inlining. Profiling is a very crude
tool that is helpful in eliminating hot spots but that's all.

Sort of. The important weakness of profiling is that profiling only shows how a certain translation of the program is performing; it doesn't show much about the possible performance of other translations.

In fact, the liberal use of inline tends to *prevent* premature optimization
(of the kind I mentioned above, avoidance of abstraction), and certainly does
not distort the code.

Yes.

Segher