Re: Request for Assistance: GCC 3.3.1 Code-Gen Problems

[Sorry for the delay, I'm on vacation]

> Hmm, I have to admit I'm not too fond of this part of the patch:
>
>   +@smallexample
>   +   % CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh
>   +   % export CONFIG_SHELL
>   +   % @var{srcdir}/configure [@var{options}] [@var{target}]
>   +   % gmake bootstrap
>   +   % gmake install
>   +@end smallexample
>
> Lines 3-5 here are exactly what we recommend in general, so either this
> occurence is redundant (-> long term maintainance issue) or the general
> description is not sufficient (and should be improved instead).

Not exactly: the build instructions use 'make' instead of 'gmake'.

> Wouldn't it be sufficient to just quote the first two lines and then
> add "...and proceed as usual" or "...and proceed as described in @ref"?

Probably. And this might be required for correctness too, because I've just
realized that the 3rd line somehow conflicts with the configure instructions
for sparc64-sun-solaris2. However, I think we should still insist on GNU
make vs Sun make.

Would you mind working out the details with Phil, as he kindly proposed? I'm
not in position to produce any patch for the time being.

- Eric