Re: SCO systems and 'Target Deprecation'

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
>> Xose Vazquez Perez <xose@wanadoo.es> writes:
>>
>>>is there  any .plan to do with _all_ SCO systems a 'Target Deprecation' ?
>> Not at present; SCO 5 is still widely used.
>
> I don't think that's the point.  We should consider removing SCO
> support for political reasons.  Compare the earlier Apple boycott.

I can see the argument for this, but it is _not_ something that should
be handled through the target obsoletion procedure; it's a political
decision that should be made by the FSF and the SC, and (should the
decision be to desupport SCO) implemented immediately rather than
queued for 3.5.  I decline to express an opinion about whether this
should be done.

The target obsoletion procedure is _only_ for the staged removal of
support for targets that are no longer widely used, such that the
maintenance burden outweighs the value to users of supporting that
target.

zw