Re: building

Jim Wilson <wilson@tuliptree.org> writes:

> There is a much simpler explanation for your problem.  Gcc uses the
> environment variable $CPP to run the preprocessor if it is set,
> otherwise it uses "gcc -E".  If you have this environment variable
> set to something which isn't a preprocessor, then you will get this
> configure error.  Get rid of the CPP environment variable, and gcc
> will build.

I also tripped over this problem recently, but with a different cause.
I was using a version of bash from NetBSD's pkgsrc system (2.05, I
believe) that exhibited a bug that was causing the relevant cpp
config.cache shell variable to be set to "$gcc -E".  Upgrading to the
latest version (2.05b) in pkgsrc made the problem go away.

Ben