Re: prefetch optimizations

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 04:37 AM, Niavis Panagiotis wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right mailing list to post this.

No, its not.

I'm using the function block_prefetch(follows) to prefetch a 4Kb array in the cpu
cache.

You might want to check out __builtin_prefetch in the gcc manual. However, notice that cache lines are usually 32 bytes, not 64, on some platforms, the lines increase to 128 bytes.

Can someone explain me or point me to some documents which explain this
behaviour?

You will want to read documentation on your processor's architecture and specific implementation. You will want to read the documentation on your memory controller. You'll probably want to read up on locking regions in memory on your OS.

Also, you can go view memory copy routines from all over the place, like the Linux kernel.

Also, you can ask google for pointers...