Re: Cleanups for the m68k backend

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 07:36:03AM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>  Every obsolete feature you drop opens the opportunity for more
> cleanups.

  True, but I won't call MIT syntax obsolete.

>  It's too bad, but I'm starting to think that no single person knows
> enough about all the environments where the m68k back-end is being used
> to be able to clean the whole back-end properly.

  Quite likely given the fact that most m68k ports haven't been touched
  since a long time. Since a lot of dead configurations are already gone
  the m68k backend should be much more manageable now.

> Even worse, some popular platforms such as AmigaOS, uClinux and embedded
> ColdFire have never merged their changes into mainline, so you can only
> guess what their requirments are.

  AFAIK, nobody tried to get these ports into the official sources. And
  thats the major problem - ports outside the official sources have no
  relevance. Howeverm getting ports into the official sources is difficult,
  especially if the port makes some "invasive" changes to core parts.

> I was quite surprised from the include layout when I first looked at it.
> I had a very hard time before I figured out that m68020-elf.h was being
> included last in my m68k-elf config and it was redefinining symbols
> already defined eariler by other m68k headers.

  Then I would suggest to start cleaning up this first and tackling other
  problems later.

  Gunther