Re: Cleanups for the m68k backend

On Monday 07 July 2003 16:02, Franz Sirl wrote:

 > > > No, that's not how it works with open source. If _you_ want to
 > > > keep a rarely necessary feature that makes maintenance a nightmare
 > > > (see grep "#.*include" gcc/config/m68k/*.h|wc -l), it's _your_
 > > > task to spend some time on it (namely convert #include's to
 > > > $tm_file in config.gcc).
 > >
 > >   Thats an entirely different issue, isn't it?
 >
 > Not really, as I understand Bernardo he will be doing more cleanups in
 > the future and if that's the case I would rather pave him the way than
 > to keep some feature.

 Yes. Every obsolete feature you drop opens the opportunity for more
cleanups.

 It's too bad, but I'm starting to think that no single person knows
enough about all the environments where the m68k back-end is being used
to be able to clean the whole back-end properly.

Even worse, some popular platforms such as AmigaOS, uClinux and embedded
ColdFire have never merged their changes into mainline, so you can only
guess what their requirments are.

 > > > And note that this isn't just an isolated m68k issue, everyone
 > > > doing compilerwide cleanups usually stumbles over m68k :-(.
 > >
 > >   Because its still an CC target or why?
 >
 > Because due to the strange #include setup it's hard to prove that you
 > didn't break some strange configuration. Eg., when I moved the elfos.h
 > includes to $tm_file m68k was one of the worst platforms to handle,
 > conditional includes, #define/#include/#undef sequences, etc.

I was quite surprised from the include layout when I first looked at it.
I had a very hard time before I figured out that m68020-elf.h was being
included last in my m68k-elf config and it was redefinining symbols
already defined eariler by other m68k headers.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html