Re: GCC warnings for unused global variables

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 07:10:35PM +0200, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> | Gaby, surely you know that the reason that volatile is in the language
>
> I certainly know what kinds of problems it was supposed to solve.  My
> claim is what get specified in the standard does address those sorts of
> problems in any reliable way. No just because some semantics was
> specified for "volatile" means that it effectively addresses the
> original problems.  And I think that opinion is also held by
> people with respected experience on drivers and OSes area.

If we take the view that the standard is the only contract between
the compiler writers and the users, then the semantics defined for
volatile will be found lacking.  In such cases, we will need to go
further, so that, as far as possible, the problems that volatile
was intended to handle get handled by GCC.  Because the resulting "spec" is
so fuzzy, I'm afraid that this is going to be an iterative process.