Re: Warnings about rcs_id strings: let's settle this

Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com> writes:

> There has been an explosion of threads about the rcs_id warnings issue,
> and a whole lot of people are getting sidetracked on unrelated issues
> (like the semantics of "volatile", because of the suggestion that
> people declare their RCS strings volatile).  These threads have buried
> the fact that we have a reasonable solution.
>
> Kean Johnston has posted a patch that splits the warning about static
> variables into a special case.

For what it's worth, I agree that some variant of Kean's patch should
be included.  I think some of the concerns raised in the discussion of
the patch (enable at -Wextra? only for const variables?) should be
addressed, but hopefully we can do that in short order without
sidetracking again.

zw