Re: Bootstrap times on mainline are getting worse

Diego> +2002-10-04  David Edelsohn  <edelsohn@gnu.org>
Diego> +
Diego> +       * unroll.c (copy_loop_body): Remove REG_EQUAL note attached to
Diego> +       copied instruction if the note is not loop invariant.
Diego> +

Diego> But neither should have had any effects on SPECint.  Anyway, I'll
Diego> start undoing patches as time permits.

	My patch only should have an effect when unrolling is enabled,
which it is not by default when bootstrapping.  I am worried about the
performance impact with -funroll-loops, but I checked the SPEC runs and
did not see a dramatic change.

	Also, this slow-down could be due to the increasing complexity of
the x86 port, not a generic slow-down in the common parts of the
compiler.  More complete cost models and register classes increase the
complexity of the port and the time spent in various
architecture-dependent compiler phases.

David