Re: GCC floating point usage

Mike Stump wrote:

> On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 10:10 AM, Stefan Bylund wrote:
> > The reason why I am asking this is because in the OSE RTOS, the kernel
> > will only save the floating point registers for a process at context
> > switch
>
> And this is the same reason that Wind River needs the patch.

RTEMS is in the same boat.  Right now, the PowerPC port lies and
considers all tasks are floating point to work around this.

This would be a nice improvement for embedded PowerPC users.

Using -msoft-float is unacceptable for RTEMS applications
because it means that some portions of the single executable
would have to be linked against -msoft-float libraries and others
against hardware float variants.

NOTE: We initially encountered this behavior in gcc doing the
HPPA port.  As I recall, the PA port at that time used
the FPU for integer multiplies and tended to do it for indexing
arrays of odd-sized structures.