Re: cc1plus errors

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 11:25:28PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Nathan . wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot Phil. It was the "-m" option. And yes -pthreads does work. It
> > was a typo I was doing. "-pthread" without s.
>
> Actually, on GNU/Linux system, it's spelled "-pthread" like you
> did.  Maybe "-pthread" can be offered as a synonym to
> "-pthreads" on Solaris for interoperability reasons?

And on other systems it's -mthread, or it used to be.  And some platforms
know about multiple threading options.

The goal of whoever "designed" the rat's nest of threading options seems
to have been to make the spelling of the option(s) as close as possible
to the equivalent option(s) of the native compiler.  Thus the lack of
consistency across platforms.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002